Subscribe to OA Footnotes Blog

Monday, September 21, 2020

Writing as a Tool

When I began working with my present sponsor, she had me set up a morning routine which included three pages of free-association writing every day. In the interim, I've come to appreciate starting my day with my morning pages.

 How do I do this? I like to keep my writing in a journal, and I like to use multi-colored pens. Sometimes I write on the lines, and other days I turn the booklet sideways to write. I've also been known to write in a spiral, starting at the edges of the page and working inward. These tricks pacify my rebellious spirit and invite my subconscious to find itself on the page; they're an invitation from my brain to my spirit. They help the process, but they aren't the process itself. 


What do I write when I write? Whatever comes up. I might review a difficult situation or examine my actions in the search for character events. Sometimes I expand on what was in my tenth step the previous night. And okay, I'll admit it -- some days I write out my 10th step because I forgot to do so the day before. I try for three full pages, but sometimes I allow myself to get away with writing on three sides of the paper, however long or short that may be. I use this tool very imperfectly, but I use it daily.  

It's not all focused brilliance: there are times when my writing is simply a spill of sensory thoughts, impressions or funny names for my pet. When I run out of ideas, I make lists: gratitude lists, ideas for an upcoming class, or the like. Some days I can't think so well, and simply copy out passages from program literature that help me to stay focused on my program. 

Writing feels like a conversation with two friends I am getting to know better -- myself and my Higher Power. It allows me to organize my thoughts and my day, and it gives me a place to spill emotions, think through concepts, and simply be with myself. If you haven't tried this tool, I encourage you to simply start and let the process develop for you. 

 KB, Sierra Madre