Subscribe to OA Footnotes Blog

Monday, March 15, 2021

Some Thoughts About Faith

F is for - Fear which is not compatible with faith.
A is for - Acceptance. Perhaps faith begins with acceptance.
I is for - I, me, mine which are replaced, because of faith, with a power greater than myself.
T is for - The Third Step whose principle is faith.
H is for - Happiness. Happiness like faith is an inside job.


Since March is the 3rd month of the year, I am focusing on the 3rd step and its principle: faith. I’m writing about the 3rd step as I read the OA 12 & 12, which I have read many times before. My sponsor suggested that reading something familiar with a new understanding is an example of “setting aside” what I know. I will then be available to learn something new. And, to my surprise, I am learning new things. For me, this might also be an example of a spiritual experience.

“…we were squarely confronted with the question of faith. We couldn’t duck the issue. Some of us had already walked far over the Bridge of Reason toward a desired shore of faith. The outlines and the promise of the New Land had brought luster to tired eyes and fresh courage to flagging spirits. Friendly hands had stretched out in welcome. We were grateful that Reason had brought us so far. But somehow, we couldn’t quite step ashore.”  Alcoholics Anonymous p. 53

In addition to a destination, I also think of faith as something I can count on. It’s something I know to be true. For example, I know that if I’m in self pity today, I won’t be there forever. I have faith that “this too shall pass“. That has been my experience.



                                                                                     - C.