Subscribe to OA Footnotes Blog

Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Perseverance: The Principle of Step 10

I link the number of each month to a Step. Then that’s the Step I focus on for the whole month. So, this month, October, is my Step 10 month. I read the Step in both the AA and OA 12 & 12 and ponder the relevant principle. 

In the OA 12 & 12, Steps 1, 2 and 3 are summarized simply as “I can’t; God can; I think I’ll let God!” (page 17, 2nd edition). Similarly, I think “perseverance” can be simplified to “Keep coming back.” Simple but powerful. It’s the only thing I’ve done perfectly in OA. But it has been enough to keep my “membership” intact.


I set myself a task this month to see if perseverance could prevail. Other than writing my food down each day, I don’t use the tool of writing consistently or often. So my “perseverance” plan is to write the answer to each day’s question from the For Today Workbook. As I write this, it’s October 12th and so far so good. What if I forget to write one day or I’m just not willing to? Does this mean I failed, i.e. that I didn’t persevere? I think not. For example, I can write the answers to 2 questions the following day.


I have learned to: 1. “Keep on keeping on”, 2. Have a plan I can win with and 3. Have a “plan B”. I have also designed a reminder that supports my desire to persevere: I put the For Today book, my journal and the list of questions on my bed. There is no way not to come across these items before my day ends. And if I see them and just move them off the bed without reading and answering a question…I can implement “plan B” and  answer 2 questions tomorrow.  


C