Subscribe to OA Footnotes Blog

Thursday, August 6, 2020

My Own House In Order



The answers will come if your own house is in order. But obviously you cannot transmit something you haven't got.
-A Vision For You, p. 164 Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous

My "own house in order" is very different than "ducks in a row" which is the way I needed everything to be before Program. If my ducks were in a row, I would look okay to others, no matter how crazy I actually was or felt I was inside. 

Getting my house in order is an inside job. And, for me today, that requires a tight relationship with a Higher Power as well as working the Steps with other recovering compulsive overeaters. And the answers do come -
usually without too much effort (or thought) on my part because all that thinking about looking good and all the effort I put into appearing "normal" just made me crazier and fatter, quite frankly.                                                        (continued)I have to reach for answers from a Power greater than myself - "myself" being specifically my mind - which is where my ego reigns. And my ego edges God out time and time again. 

On the other hand, God - for me, at least - is found in the heart, in the silence, in nature and many times in the words of another recovering Fellow. Listening for God and seeking His guidance is how I clean out my crazy and begin to develop serenity, strength and hope. 

But I cannot do that if I am still in the food or acting out in the character defects which disrupt and eventually block my access to my Higher Power. I have to humble myself to seek help from others, and in doing so, the answers come and my fears, resentments, control issues and slothful habits are relieved. 

I have specific experiences to share as a result of working this Program and they are not just one-and-done events. They are often times repeated so that I can learn and accept that I'm human in order to develop the same compassion for myself and others that my HP and my Fellows show me during those times. 

But, I must be diligent and not rest on my laurels or take my Recovery for granted. In order to maintain my own sobriety around food, I have to give to others what has been so freely given to me. And getting my own house in order on a daily basis is paramount to that. 

-anonymous